What is The Movement Factory?
The Movement Factory is an award winning community dance empire, home to several initiatives working together collectively to give The Movement Factory a unique and revolutionary presence within the UK Dance industry.
Our programme model aims to cover every base so that we have dance available to everyone, from budding participants wanting to learn something new, (adult and child) , school teachers looking to enhance their lesson plans, community centres looking to run a specific workshop or an instructor looking for more work and continued professional development. We live, eat and breathe community dance!
Our mission is to create positive change in communities across London and the UK, using dance as a mechanism for empowerment, personal development and a fun creative outlet for improving health.
The Movement Factory is the vision of nine times award winning Director Leanne Pero, who in 2001 at the age of fifteen, set out to create lasting community impact and change through her love of dance. The Movement Factory has amassed outstanding credentials in its time of operation; and Leanne and the team have huge ambitions to continue moving it forward and continue winning awards.
August 2016 will see The Movement Factory celebrate 15 years as community dance advocates.
We’ve reached 500,000 young people through our programmes since starting out in 2001.
- In 2014 and 2015 alone, we have reached 40,000 young people.
- 10,000 young people were reached through one single event- the Elephant and The Nun Community Festival in Southwark.
- 30 young people were taken on as Junior Coaches or volunteers
- 18 of them secured parts in music videos, musicals or started their own business.
- 200 young people took part in our accredited schemes and work experience placements
- 20 professional dance teachers take exams with us each year
And that’s just the start of it!